Ultimate Italy - with Venice Simplon Orient Express, Summer 2021
Ultimate Italy – With Venice Simplon Orient Express, Summer 2021
This magnificent journey showcases Italy’s grand past, romantic cities and exquisite natural wonders. Step into the ancient world, as a Local Expert shows you the cobblestone alleyways of Pompeii, the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel in VIP style, and the gravity-defying Tower of Pisa. Along the way, you’ll discover how medieval trades are being kept alive, participate in a Tuscan cooking masterclass and cruise along the canals of Venice onboard a traditional gondola. From iconic capitals to the charming fishing villages of the Cinque Terre, uncover the full grandeur of Italy. Your luxurious travels continue as you step onboard the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express for your overnight journey to Paris.
- Rome: As night falls, delight in the romance of the Eternal City before gathering for a Welcome Dinner of delicious Italian cuisine and wine at an elegant local restaurant near Rome’s famous Pantheon and watch the world go by.
- Isle of Capri: Take in beautiful views of the Gulf of Naples from the privileged perch of Michelin-starred Mamm. Savour a delectable meal of Mediterranean flavours in perfect Caprese style, created with passion from fresh, local produce by chef Salvatore La Ragione.
- Isle of Capri: A refreshing lemon granita is the perfect way to cool down in the Mediterranean.
- San Gimignano: Explore Guardastelle with a wine expert to learn about the various grape varieties and visit wine cellars that combine ancient traditions with modern technology, where you will enjoy a wine tasting. Afterwards indulge in a lunch of Tuscan specialties and beautiful views of the countryside.
- San Gimignano: Ascend serpentine alleyways to the artisan ice-cream parlour of World Champion Gelato maestro, Sergio Dondoli, for a taste of his creamiest treats.
- Florence: Enjoy dinner in an elegant villa which will include a choice of dishes including the famous ‘Fiorentina’ (mouth-watering grilled Tuscan beefsteak).
- Tuscany: In the former hunting lodge of the Medici family, join a qualified chef to experience authentic Italian cooking at a hands-on culinary master-class. Afterwards enjoy the fruits of your labor while enjoying the views of the Tuscan Countryside.
- Venice: Learn the secrets behind your aperitif, Venice’s Bellini cocktail before dinner tonight at the atmospheric Taverna La Fenice.
- Dining Summary: 15 Breakfasts (B), 4 Lunches with Wine (LW) and 7 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Rome: Your Travelling Concierge welcomes you to Rome with a traditional passeggiata near The Pantheon.
- Vatican City: With your Local Expert, see Rome’s most revered treasures when you visit St. Peter’s Basilica and see Michelangelo’s ‘Piet.’
- Rome: Learn of the city’s iconic history when you visit the Colosseum and see the Roman Forum.
- Rome: During your orientation with your Travelling Concierge see medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Rome: Join your Local Expert for a guided exploration through history, as you discover hidden sites of Rome.
- Pompeii: Walk with a Local Expert through the cobbled streets of this ill-fated town, frozen in time since the 1st century.
- Isle of Capri: Travel in style by open-top taxi as you get a flavour of the jet-set lifestyle.
- Isle of Capri: Enjoy a private cruise around the island to see its hidden coves and grottos.
- Isle of Capri: Admire the famous Faraglioni Rocks from the gardens of Caesar Augustus as you explore with your Local Expert.
- Assisi: Join your Local Expert and find out why the Basilica of St. Francis is considered one of the crowning achievements of medieval Europe.
- Perugia: Meet Marta, recipient of a TreadRight Foundation grant: to discover how she and her weavers are preserving the medieval tradition of loom-weaving at their artisanal workshop.
- San Gimignano: Visit the medieval Manhattan of Italy!
- Tuscany: Journey to the 15th century wine domain of ‘Guardastelle’ and visit the wine cellars that combine ancient traditions with modern technology with an enological expert, where you will enjoy a wine tasting. Afterwards indulge in a lunch of Tuscan specialties.
- Pisa: Accompanied by your Local Expert, marvel at the gravity-defying Leaning Tower of Pisa and see the Duomo and baptistery.
- Cinque Terre: Experience some of the most awe-inspiring coastal scenery on earth at the UNESCO-listed Cinque Terre. Join your Local Expert and discover charming Manarola, a picturesque ?shing village, before travelling by train to the resort town of Rapallo.
- Venice: Arrive to your hotel by a private water-taxi along the Grand Canal.
- Venice: Witness the ancient skill of glassblowing as you watch artisans create delicate works of art.
- Venice: Take your seat in a traditional gondola for a serenade through the romantic Venetian canals.
Stay at the Best Addresses
- Florence: Nestled on the banks of the Arno, Ville sull’Arno boasts beautiful pastel tones and warm wooden furnishings. Treat yourself and indulge in ancient beauty rituals as you relax in enveloping scents at the hotels spa and wellness centre.
- Rome: The iconic Palazzo Montemartini offers the perfect blend of rich history and contemporary design. Rooms boast minimalistic elegance while mirroring Rome’s unique ambience.
- Perugia: Since 1884, this exclusive hotel has housed royalty and celebrities. It is situated in the historic heart of Perugia and is the only five-star hotel in the city. Fine Umbrian dining and a luxurious wellness spa are some of the highlights that make the Brufani extra special.
- Rapallo: The Grand Hotel Bristol & Spa is regarded as one of the…
Welcome to Rome.
Rome and the Vatican.
Pompeii and Sorrento.
Explore the Isle of Dreams.
Lush Umbria and on to Assisi and Perugia.
San Gimignano and Tuscany.
Tuscan Cooking Class and Pisa.
Exploring The Cinque Terre.
Theatrical Venice and the Doge's Palace.
The Magic of Venice.
Venice at Leisure.
Venice to Paris by Venice Simplon-Orient-Express.
Paris, The City of Light.